openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Should download pages *require* Javascript?
Date Tue, 20 Aug 2013 09:25:14 GMT
On 19 August 2013 19:44, Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie> wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 20:14:08 +0200
> Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On 19/08/2013 sebb wrote:
>> > Note that the page http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html also
>> > requires Javascript!
>>
>> This is not so good. The noscript option should direct the user to
>> http://www.apache.org/dyn/aoo-closer.cgi/openoffice/
>> (users who disable JavaScript are likely to be able to browse the
>> FTP-like structure they will see there).
>>
>> > Whatever method is chosen, I think it should be possible to download
>> > AOO without the use of Javascript.
>>
>> It should also be possible to download OpenOffice in the cases where
>> JavaScript parsing breaks, i.e., we should have alternative download
>> links that are always visible (working JavaScript, broken Javascript, no
>> JavaScript).
>>
>> Regards,
>>    Andrea.
>>

> I think the automatic selection of a "best fit" OpenOffice for the user is good.

Agreed.

> Forum experience suggests that many unskilled users will get confused if offered the
full range of options of versions for operating sytems, languages and language packs.

Yet that is exactly what the page
http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html does.

All the versions and all the language packs are laid out in one huge table.
Probably easier to use than the ASF mirror structure, but still not easy.

However, although the page requires Javascript, it does not use
Javascript to narrow the choices for the user.
AFAICT the Javascript is only used to build the table so it might as
well be static HTML that any browser can use.

If it were turned into a static page, I think it might be a better
alternative to the ASF mirror structure.

Maybe there should be a separate discussion about how to organise the
download pages when the autodetection does not work.