openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Should download pages *require* Javascript?
Date Mon, 19 Aug 2013 19:11:16 GMT
On 19 August 2013 19:39, Marcus (OOo) <marcus.mail@wtnet.de> wrote:
> Am 08/19/2013 08:14 PM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
>
>> On 19/08/2013 sebb wrote:
>>>
>>> Note that the page http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html also
>>> requires Javascript!
>>

>> This is not so good. The noscript option should direct the user to
>> http://www.apache.org/dyn/aoo-closer.cgi/openoffice/
>> (users who disable JavaScript are likely to be able to browse the
>> FTP-like structure they will see there).
>

> That's a good alternative as this is already available and completely
> working. So the green NOJS box could link to this webpage.

It does provide access to the downloads, but it's a not at all easy to navigate.

The following would be slightly better, but it is still not trivial:

http://www.apache.org/dyn/aoo-closer.cgi/openoffice/4.0.0/binaries/

And of course we cannot get stats from the downloads the same way that
SF provides them.

However it would be better than nothing until such time as a better
solution can be put in place.