openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: template troubles in "xx" pseudo NL website
Date Fri, 30 Aug 2013 18:04:09 GMT
Am 08/30/2013 04:28 PM, schrieb Ariel Constenla-Haile:
> On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 08:26:51AM -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
>> But one question:  what is the strategy on locale detection on the
>> download page for NL pages?  It looks like you are hardcoding it to
>> "es", but preserving the OS detection code?
>>
>> I see:
>>
>> var NL_LANGUAGE = "es";
>>
>> Is that all that is needed?  We can otherwise just reuse the same scripts?
>
> yes, var NL_LANGUAGE = ""; will default to en-US.

not really. If the variable is empty then the DL scripting is trying to
find the language from the browser data. This will be used to assemble
the download link.

> The download page, with all that javascript in it, is rather hard to
> translate. Isn't it possible to use a cgi script (server-side vs.
> client-side js)?

IMHO it's not really hard. You just need to put all language specific
strings out of the JS file, put in variables instead and put the strings
in a language-specific JS file with the respective variables.

Then you have:
- a generic "download.js" file that could be linked from the main
   download webpage
- and a language-specific one that can be located in the "xx" download
   webpage.

Maybe there a simplier solutions. However, this is the way I would go.

Marcus