openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: Brainstorming: Can we refactor the website to make translation easier?
Date Fri, 23 Aug 2013 19:17:32 GMT
Am 08/23/2013 05:58 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:

> Obviously our website is quite large.  Google reports 21207 pages
> indexed in the www subdomain, and a further 48075 pages in the wiki
> subdomain.   But for purpose of this post, when I talk about the "home
> page" I'm talking about the contents of our main index.html and the
> most commonly visited pages directly linked to it, e.g., the
> why/download/product/get-involved, etc. pages.
>
> This core homepage content amounts to around 25 pages.
>
> Today this content is scattered around the content tree.  Some of it
> is in the root.  Some of it in /why and /download directories.  Some
> of it is template-related and is in /templates rather than in
> /content.
>
> As a test I tried to create my own NL page, in the fictitious "xx"
> locale.  You can see it here:  http://www.openoffice.org/xx/
>
> It is not working correctly, but it already required a lot of
> non-trivial hacking:
>
> 1) I had to hunt around and guess which files to copy.  Do I copy
> scripts, images and CSS, or just content pages?   Some of the
> directories had out-dated content that was not linked to my anyone.
> It was hard to figure out what the minimum amount of content needed
> was, and where it was located.
>
> 2) The main index.html file had to be edited to refer to CSS in the
> root, rather than current directory
>
> 3)  Download page is missed up, missing CSS and/or scripts.
> Presumably I need to copy something into the xx/download dir, or edit
> scripts to make them refer /download off the root.
>
> 4) The /xx/why pages are not showing the right side navigation now.  I
> must have missed something there as well.
>
> Of course, I could figure the above out eventually.  It just requires
> some time and effort and trial and error.  But none of this is
> documented, and even if it were this is a fragile approach and
> probably beyond th web development skills of a typical translator.
>
> But we do know this has been done for some languages.  They got it to
> work.  The German page is a good example:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/de/
>
> Now this looks good, but it is still a messy thing from a maintenance
> perspective.  If we make structural changes to the main English page,
> then those changes need to be manually merged into to every NL page.
>
> What can we do to improve this?
>
> Here's my idea:
>
> 1) What if we refactored the home page so it was all self-contained
> into these directories:   /scripts,  /styles,  /images and /en/?

Do you mean to centralize all kind of files that are shared? Like button
pics, download scripting, color definitions?

I thought about this already for the download area as then these files
are all in a single location. But of course it's also possible to do
this for the entire wesite.

> 2) Make the /en directory be pure content.  Only the stuff that needs
> to be translated.  It loads everything else, scripts, images, etc.,
> via URLs relative to the root, e.g.., in /scripts, /styles, etc.

Should the "en/" folder have another purpose than just to work as a big
template?

> 3) Reduce or eliminate any embedded Javascript within pages.  For
> example, refactor the code in download/index.html so it is external
> and depends on JSON resource files for translated strings.  Aim so
> translators never need to touch script.

At least for the download webpage I thought, too, already to separate
code and text because it makes it easier for other people to use the
design of the main download webapge for their language.

I've not yet committed anything but the idea is to separate a) HTML
design, b) JS code and c) translate-able text strings from each other.

However, I put already a Todo note into the Wiki (see the 2nd row from top):

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Improvements+for+the+download+webpages#Improvementsforthedownloadwebpages-ImmediateConcerns%2CShort%2FMidTermImprovements

> 4) Ultimate goal is for someone to be able to jump start a new NL home
> page by simply requesting an svn copy of the /en directory, and then
> editing the resulting files.  No one should ever need to do what I'm
> doing with the "xx" pages.

Yeah, indeed a hugh work to get to this dream.

> 5) Maintenance is far easier.  Most things like changing the scripts,
> is done in one place only.  But even changes to the HTML are easier.
> Since we then have a common branch point via the svn copy, when
> structural changes are added to the main /en HTML, these can be merged
> in more elegantly to the translated versions, using Subversion.
>
> 6) Via Apache redirects we can ensure that the default call to
> www.openoffice.org/ goes to /en/.  Conceivably we could also do locale
> detection and send requests automatically to the appropriate NL home
> page.
>
> A variation on the above would be to use Pootle, rather than svn
> copy/merge to maintain the translations.  But that would require the
> same refactoring work to enable it.  And it would require further
> investigation to identify a way of extracting and merging translation
> strings in MDText files as well as (X)HTML files.
>
> This is obviously more than a one-person task.  So I'd be interested
> in hearing what you think in general about this approach, whether
> there is a simpler alternative I've missed, and whether this is
> something you'd be interested in helping with.

I think it's no secret when I tell you that this is a great idea from
the view point of maintenance and to attrack new volunteers for not yet
known and supported languages.

However, I'm really wondering if this will be a success as it would mean
nothing less than a complete rebuild of all files on the entire website.

I believe it's better to split this up into some chunks. What's the most
interesting ansd important part of our website? Start with this, build
up some skills, knowledge and best pratices and then enroll it more and
more over the remaining parts - and hopefully with more volunteers. ;-)

My 2 ct.

Marcus