openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: Should download pages *require* Javascript?
Date Tue, 20 Aug 2013 18:34:36 GMT
Am 08/20/2013 11:25 AM, schrieb sebb:
> On 19 August 2013 19:44, Rory O'Farrell<ofarrwrk@iol.ie>  wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 20:14:08 +0200
>> Andrea Pescetti<pescetti@apache.org>  wrote:

>>> This is not so good. The noscript option should direct the user to
>>> http://www.apache.org/dyn/aoo-closer.cgi/openoffice/
>>> (users who disable JavaScript are likely to be able to browse the
>>> FTP-like structure they will see there).

>>> It should also be possible to download OpenOffice in the cases where
>>> JavaScript parsing breaks, i.e., we should have alternative download
>>> links that are always visible (working JavaScript, broken Javascript, no
>>> JavaScript).
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>     Andrea.
>>>

>> I think the automatic selection of a "best fit" OpenOffice for the user is good.
>
> Agreed.
>
>> Forum experience suggests that many unskilled users will get confused if offered
the full range of options of versions for operating sytems, languages and language packs.

> Yet that is exactly what the page
> http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html does.
>
> All the versions and all the language packs are laid out in one huge table.
> Probably easier to use than the ASF mirror structure, but still not easy.
>
> However, although the page requires Javascript, it does not use
> Javascript to narrow the choices for the user.
> AFAICT the Javascript is only used to build the table so it might as
> well be static HTML that any browser can use.

In the past it was, sorry, a pain in the ass to keep this webpage
up-to-date as there were always changes in paths, version number and
languages (new were included, old were dropped out). Copy & paste errors
were often occurring. Now it is much easier to update it as the table is
generated via JS logic and this logic is filled via a few variables.

> If it were turned into a static page, I think it might be a better
> alternative to the ASF mirror structure.

IMHO this wouldn't change anything, except for JS or no-JS.

So, it seems we need an intermediate step between the green box and the
big table.

> Maybe there should be a separate discussion about how to organise the
> download pages when the autodetection does not work.

Marcus