openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Herbert Duerr <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Example of spreadsheet formula testing
Date Mon, 19 Aug 2013 09:35:33 GMT
On 19.08.2013 11:18, janI wrote:
> On 19 August 2013 10:43, Herbert Duerr <hdu@apache.org> wrote:
>> [...]
>> There is no need to develop a new framework. Please check Zhe Liu's
>> wonderful work on test automation that I referenced above [2] that is
>> already available in our "test/" directory. It is very powerful, clean and
>> relatively easy to use.
>
> not only does it look very powerful, the documentation is easy to read and
> seems very complete.
>
> Am I correct in assuming, this is not used today for our current testing ?

Its quite easy for everyone who is able to checkout and build AOO to run
them [1]. The "official" Apache don't run them yet. My local buildbot
does daily BVT (Build Verification Tests) and FVT (Functional
Verification Tests) tests.

The full test suite of BVT (Build), FVT (Functional), SVT (System), and
PVT (Performance) tests takes about 24h on dedicated powerful hardware.
And there are still too many false positives resulting from timeouts,
connection problems, wrong slot IDs, etc.

> If a couple of the testers started to use that and update/expand with their
> tests, it would cost nearly the same time as the test does today, but with
> the huge benefit, that we can repeat the test as often as we like.
>
> big +1 from me, to get us running down this path.

Agreed. The framework is a great asset that should be leveraged. If we
can eliminate the still too frequent false positives then we could send
automatic reports to the mailing list.

[1]
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/QA/test_automation_guide#Getting_started_with_command_line

Herbert