openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Hagar Delest <hagar.del...@laposte.net>
Subject Re: Some thoughts on quality
Date Wed, 14 Aug 2013 19:29:03 GMT
Le 14/08/2013 21:01, Raphael Bircher a écrit :

>> I like the idea of a public beta.  But consider the numbers.  The 40
>> or so regressions that were reported came from an install base (based
>> on download figures since 4.0.0 was released) of around 3 million
>> users.  Realistically, can we expect anywhere near that number in a
>> public beta?  Or is it more likely that a beta program has 10,000
>> users or fewer?  I don't know the answer here.   But certainly a
>> well-publicized and used beta will find more than a beta used by just
>> a few hundred users.
> The public beta is from my point of view realy important. Even you have only 10'000 Downloads
of a beta, you have normaly verry experianced Users there, like power users from Companies.
They provide realy valua feedback. So from my point of view, this is one of the moast important
changes we have to do. For all Feature release a beta version. And don't forget, people are
realy happy to do beta tests. but many of them are maybe not willing to follow a mailing list.

+1.
OOo used to have RC versions strongly advertised, it could go up to 6 RC before going final
and it was very useful to spot the main bugs.

Hagar