openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Herbert Duerr <...@apache.org>
Subject Drop support for OSX 10.4 and 10.5 for AOO 4.1
Date Thu, 08 Aug 2013 08:08:23 GMT
In the "[discuss] drop support for Java 5 and Java 6 for Windows" thread
Rob wrote:
> And remember, the "cost" of supporting old platforms is not just the
> dev work.  It also involves QA and support..  If we say we "support"
> something then we really ought to be testing in, not just saying that
> we not aware of any problems.  The OpenOffice brand should mean that
> users can run on any supported platform and have a good experience.
> IMHO we should not say we "support" a platform unless we're willing
> and able to meet that kind of expectation.

This is very true also in other areas. I suggest we drop support for OSX
10.4 and 10.5 for Apache OpenOffice 4.1.

There are some good points for the proposal:
- the latest update of OSX 10.4 was in 2007 and Apple dropped support
for it in May 2011
- the latest update of OSX 10.5 was in 2009 and Apple dropped support
for it in July 2012
- Mozilla stopped releasing for them after FireFox 16
- Google stopped releasing for them after Chrome 22
- Microsoft stopped releasing for them after MSO 2011
- Adobe stopped releasing for them in 2012
- Oracle only provides Java for OSX 10.6 and up
- Adium stopped releasing for them after Adium 1.4.5
- etc.

Of course one could say that our development and testing community is
way bigger than their counterparts in the above projects and companies
even if were to combine their teams. From that supposition we'd have
resources to spare to keep releasing for these unsupported platforms. On
the other hand the assumption is a bit on the optimistic side and so we
have keep reevaluating our target platforms.

Herbert