openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: I hate open office
Date Thu, 01 Aug 2013 17:22:55 GMT
On Thu, 1 Aug 2013 11:35:17 -0500
Jane McArdle <jane.mcardle09@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have hated open office for years and now at my job I am required to use
> it  I had to update to 4.0 and have had nothing but problems sense then
> first I lost 2 documents while i was down loading. I finally redid them
> because recovery is a joke. Yesterday evening I was doing some personal
> stuff and to my surprise open office crashed and can not recovery my
> document  this is not really a problem because like i said it was a
> personal document and i can get it from my history.. This morning when i
> returned to work Open office crashed again. So now I know the reason i
> don't use open office  I have had to try to recover 4 documents in 24
> hours. So thank you very much for "improving" my life with your bug filled
> updates you are almost as bad as Mozilla which with ever update makes my
>  life hell.

You say "you can get it from your history". Do you have a continuously running backup utility
(such as some versions of Comodo)? If so, this may cause crashes. Anything that touches open
OpenOffice files has been reported as causing crashes.

For what its worth, OpenOffice is, in my experience, very stable. Since Monday I have written
16,000 words in OpenOffice, with no crashes, program hangs, lost data. Since 2007, when I
started with OpenOffice's precursor, I have written four books, numerous illustrated booklets,
many presentations, all without crashes.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>