openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephen Reader" <stephen.rea...@T-Online.de>
Subject Compatibility with CAT programmes? e.g. Metatexis
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
Dear, brave Developers,

One: Thanks.
Two: My 'day job' is translating (art texts). To date, I haven't looked into Computer Aided
Translation, since my field does not involve the masses of repetitions and variations (as
in scientific texts, surveys, legal...) that these programmes are best at facilitating; but
am now testing Metatexis (developer/proprietor: Hermann Bruns; http://www.metatexis.com/).
The programme has been praised for its owner's commitment and background as a translator himself;
it does look useful. He's also correspondablei with in person. But so far, it only works in
MS Word (and its MS fellows in Pro edition and higher). It's also more affordable than - as
yet - better-known programmes such as Trados. Might this be an interesting field for you to
explore and ultimately make OO and, at least, Metatexis, compatible, maybe in collaboration
with Hermann Bruns?

I've been using OO and on a MacBook, NeoOffice (are you two arms of one developer team?),
since MS introduced fees - high fees - for any but 'private/home' use of Word etc; but have
had to return to my old MS Word to test the translation programme. Compatibility with OO and
/or NeoOffice would be a boon.

Kind regards

Stephen Reader