openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: mwiki contact page.
Date Sun, 21 Jul 2013 00:38:41 GMT
On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 6:52 PM, janI <jani@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi
>
> the mwiki contact page has been removed after a offlist question from rob
> weir, so we are back where we started a couple of weeks ago I have not
> reopened the BZ issue with the request for a contact page.
>
> all footers on wiki contain the text:
>
> Contact: dev@openoffice.apache.org
>
> That message is NOT translated as with the rest of mwiki.

Jan,

I asked for the removal of that page because it was mainly generating
spam.  Moderators had to deal with 15 examples of this from the wiki
admin form in one day.

But now you've added the string "Contact: dev@openoffice.apache.org"
*twice* to the footer of every wiki page, with no mention that there
are other more appropriate avenues to go for support.

I'm not certain now that you understand or appreciate what the issue
is.  Putting *any* prominent note to contact dev@openoffice.org is a
very bad idea and will merely lead to misdirected support requests,
causing a bad experience for users as well as volunteers.

So a -1 from me to your additions to the page footer.  Please remove
it.  And please review any further changes of this nature here on the
dev list before making it.

Remember, the number of people who have admin-related questions about
the wiki are very, very, very few in number.  They will be best served
by directing them to some variation of a page like the one we have on
the main website:

http://www.openoffice.org/contact_us.html

Thanks!

-Rob