openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Possible show stopper on Windows 8, please verify
Date Tue, 16 Jul 2013 14:21:05 GMT
On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 10:11 AM, Max Merbald <max.merbald@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd also suggest it would be best to include the issues listed by Jürgen in
> the other thread. Better to include them than to have complaints by users,
> and, possibly, bad press. I don't think there's a need to hurry things.
> Another vote wouldn't hurt, would it?

Technically, we're only voting on the source distributions.  And the
vote is about whether the source meets Apache legal policy
requirements in terms of license headers, NOTICE file contents,
copyright statement.  We're also verifying digital signatures and
checksum hashes, to verify the integrity of the released files.

So if the RC had no problems in these areas then the new RC, that just
changes a few lines of code and does not add any new files or new
components or new dependencies , will also not have any issues.  So we
don't really need a 72-hour vote, IMHO.  We just need enough time to
double check the signatures and hashes.

The binary install sets are important as well, of course.  But we're
not really voting on those.  And the vote is not an invitation to
start testing.  Testing has been ongoing for a couple months now.  The
reason we have a vote is because there are no known serious bugs. We
wouldn't have a vote if there were huge known issues.  In this
particular case we missed an issue, obviously.  But the solution in
the future to that is more testing effort in the months and weeks
leading up to a release vote.  We'll never improve things
substantially by trying to squeeze more testing into a 72-hour voting
window.

Regards,

-Rob

> Max
>

> Am 16.07.2013 15:58, schrieb Peter Junge:
>
>> On 7/16/2013 8:03 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

June

>>> Do we need another 72-hour vote?  If there are no objections I'd
>>> support making a patch without triggering a full vote.
>>

>> +1
>>
>> Peter
>>

>>> -Rob

Paste seems to