openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andre Fischer <awf....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [UX][DESIGN EXPLORATION] - flat application icons
Date Mon, 08 Jul 2013 11:25:20 GMT
On 08.07.2013 09:30, J├╝rgen Schmidt wrote:
> On 7/8/13 3:42 AM, Kevin Grignon wrote:
>> I think we should explore the icons with and without the gulls.
>>
>> Let's see what the feasible options look like before we drive towards a single solution.

I agree.  This is something that should not be rushed.

> in general I would agree but I see already a tendency to icons with
> gulls, one or two. We should focus on this.
>
> And if we want to introduce these icons in 4.0 we don't have time at all
> for weeks of further exploration. The deadline was already July 1th.

Then I would like to propose to move the integration of the new icons to
4.1.  That gives us enough time to select the best icon proposal, make
the necessary changes, and integrate them into AOO. All this takes time
and should not be done under time pressure

I personally like Kevin's icons a bit better.  Cleaner and simpler. But
Samer's icons are also nice.  Maybe we can get a mix of both?

Some observations:

Kevin's icon for Calc (the green one) and Samer's icon for master
documents (or templates?, the blue one on the top left)  look like older
MS windows icons to me.

Samer's icon for Math: I would prefer an upright (not oblique or
cursive).  The oblique (cursive) variant looks somehow a little strange
to me.  See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summation

Regards,
Andre