openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE][DISCUSS] Logo selection for Apache OpenOffice 4.0
Date Tue, 04 Jun 2013 18:17:35 GMT
On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 1:47 PM, Dave Barton <db@tasit.net> wrote:
> [...]
it will work much better, at least as positioned in the Rottensteiner Stage 2 refinement.
 It also gives "Apache" more (symbolic) weight without overpowering the "OpenOffice" part.

>>> I agree one wants to use the best of resampled PNG and regenerated SVG at the
lower size.  Also, if the SVG has hints about the visually-intended size (at whatever pixel
resolution), the fonts may be adjusted automatically to avoid excessive thinning at smaller
presentation sizes.  Then there are the tricks needed when rasterization also becomes significant.

>> Right.  And I hope that no one thinks that we're voting for pixels
>> carved in marble.  We're voting on a design.  I'd expect ordinary
>> technical adjustments to be made to suit the scale and medium of a
>> particular use.  It should feel the same to a user, of course.  That's
>> the advantage of having the vector source to a logo.  With the current
>> logo it has been difficult to work with, since we only have the orb as
>> a bitmap.
>>
>> -Rob
>
> Maybe I am missing something here (very possible), but I have the
> current logo and a couple of variants in svg format. If required I would
> be happy to upload them.
>
> If someone would be kind enough to advise me how to create a public html
> page ~bmcs (like https://people.apache.org/~arielch/), I will put all
> the OOo & AOO related svg images I have collected there.

Could you check what you have?  I have a version as well, where there
is an SVG, but the SVG merely points to a bitmap image for the orb and
gulls.  So not really pure SVG.  If you have something that is
entirely SVG, feel free to send it along and I can check it into SVN
for you.

-Rob

> Dave
>
>>>  - Dennis
>>>
>>> I don't have enough personal knowledge about SVG implementations and font hinting
(although Adobe has information about it).  I do know that Knuth had to introduce anomorphic
scaling into his fonts because the smaller ones would become visually too thin at the smaller
point sizes if simply scaled geometrically.  It's a human vision thing.  He was producing
images for production publishing systems and had a luxury of pixels; there was more involved
that nudging pixel alignments.