openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Article on the Register
Date Mon, 17 Jun 2013 12:56:29 GMT
On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 5:58 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
> On 14/06/2013 Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> If we agree on this kind of division, then "news" or "announcements"
>> would refer to project blog posts of a certain style.  They are the
>> more formal ones written with the intent of giving a specific message.
>

> For the time being I've just committed the "minimal" version, i.e.,
> http://www.openoffice.org/
> now has a block with the three latest blog posts.
>
> As for switching completely to the blog, I'm undecided. Having an article
> published at an openoffice.org URL instead than blogs.apache.org gives a
> more "official" connotation to it. Maybe we can just leave things as they

Longer term I'd love to move the blog to http://blog.openoffice.org

The header makes the difference, I think.  If it is called "blog" then
this sounds less official.  If it is called "announcements" then it
sounds official.  "News" is neutral.  Is it news from the project?  Or
about the project?

> are and rename "News" into "Announcements", i.e., articles with a more
> "official" tone that are meant to be featured on the homepage for longer
> periods (after all, this is how we are using "News" at the moment).

I thought about this some more, and was reminded that "news" is not
just stuff we write.  It is also what 3rd parties write.  At least
this is true on many other websites, where "news" sections link to 3rd
party stories as well.

So maybe a more accurate taxonomy of communications might be:

1. Types of communications:

A. Product announcements
B. Project announcements
C. Interviews
D. Technical Updates
E. Event reviews

2. Perspectives:

A. PMC perspective ("official")
B. Committer perspective ("personal")
C. 3rd party perspective

3. Vehicles for publishing

A. Blog
B. Home page
C. Website header (every page)
D. Press Releases
E. External Blogs and news sites
F. Social Media
G. Planet OpenOffice (if we decide to restore it)
H. Mailing lists

If you consider all of that, one way of approaching it  might be:

1. Use the official blog for items that give a PMC perspective.

2. Use external blogs for "committer perspective" items, but aggregate
them into Planet OpenOffice, if we can set that up.

3. For short announcements, or ones that are short duration (server
migrations, routine maintenance, deadlines for translation) use just
the mailing lists, social networks and/or the website home page.
These announcements might never go in the blog.

4. Similarly, relevant 3rd party content might be linked to on the
home page, e.g., product reviews, awards, etc.  But these might not
warrant a blog post.

5.  Not all blog posts are necessarily "news".  But many of them will be.

-Rob