openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Article on the Register
Date Fri, 14 Jun 2013 12:27:07 GMT
On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 4:28 PM, Marcus (OOo) <marcus.mail@wtnet.de> wrote:
> Am 06/13/2013 09:36 AM, schrieb Andre Fischer:
>
>> On 12.06.2013 22:06, Rob Weir wrote:

>>> I was thinking something similar. Shouldn't all new stories go onto
>>> the blog?
>>>
>>> And once we figure out how to update this live from the feed, I'd love
>>> to split the right side into three areas, one for the most recent blog
>>> posts, another for the most recent extensions and another for the most
>>> recent templates.
>>>
>>> So in a small space we can rotate headline from the blog, as well as
>>> templates, extensions, etc.
>>

>> I like your ideas (Andrea, Marcus, Rob) in general. But
>>
>> - I think the distinction between blogs and news can be a good thing if
>> we understand blogs more as personal opinions of individual community
>> members and news as 'official' announcements. If we mix blogs and news
>> then I see the danger that news will be swept out of view by the much
>> more frequently written blog posts.
>

> I tend to see blog posts as news, too. Maybe with no official wording but
> more informal, but still news.

I think there are two dimensions:  formal versus informal, and
project-view versus personal.

I think everything on the project blog should be written with us
wearing our "project hat".  In other words it should conform to
community values and support the mission of the project.  But within
these posts there may be various degrees of formality.  Some might be
written from the perspective of the individual, using the word "I".
Others might be more formal, and speak of "we".  Some might be more
conversational, others more in the form of a press release.  But they
are all done wearing out Apache OpenOffice hats.

I would not expect the project blog to have posts promoting 3rd party
businesses, discussing our summer holidays, criticizing other open
source projects, or attacking the NSA for spying on Americans.  But
all of these topics are fine for personal blogs, hosted outside of
Apache.

If we agree on this kind of division, then "news" or "announcements"
would refer to project blog posts of a certain style.  They are the
more formal ones written with the intent of giving a specific message.
  We could decide to promote only such posts on the www.openoffice.org
homepage, or all posts.   Personally I think we might want to save
that space only for news posts.  And if we do that there is no need to
give the author's name on the home page.  Just give the title.

Regards,

-Rob

> With a clear structure of categories and a clear "signature/disclaimer" at
> the end of the text it should be clear enough in which context the blog text
> is - personal or official or ...
>
> Marcus
>

>> - Listing blog posts, extensions and templates will only work if we have
>> frequent updates of extensions and templates. I have to admit that I did
>> not follow those two in the past months. Is there enough traffic to talk
>> about?
>>

>> -Andre
>>

>>> -Rob

>>> So a single column?
>>>
>>> Another idea would be to introduce jQuery and implement one of the
>>> many sliders:
>>>
>>> http://vandelaydesign.com/blog/tools/awesome-jquery-sliders/

Opinions expressed in this communication reflect the author's
individual personal view, not necessarily that of an amorphous
collective.  The above statements do not reflect an official position
of any organization, corporation, religion (organized or disorganized)
or national football association.  The contents of said note are not
guaranteed to have been spell checked, grammar checked or reviewed for
metrical infelicities.  The contents of this post may not be suitable
for those whose native language is not logic.  Caution should be
exercised when operating heavy machinery when reading this note, or
even when not reading it.  Seriously, heavy machinery is dangerous.
Be careful.