openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Certified DEVs
Date Sun, 09 Jun 2013 16:40:00 GMT
My main thought was market confidence. If LO can say they have 26
developers working on code it would be interesting to have a
comparison on a similar "like for like" basis.

On 9 June 2013 17:24, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Jun 9, 2013, at 7:36 AM, janI wrote:
>
>> On 9 June 2013 16:04, Ian Lynch <ianrlynch@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I noticed that LibreO has 26 Certified Developers.
>>>
>>> http://www.documentfoundation.org/certification/developers/
>>>
>>> While we have the concept of a committer here at AOO is there
>>> something specific for active code developers? Would it be worth
>>> considering such a thing?
>>>

> The LO page is more about the people who are "certified" coders. This is a functional
equivalent to an svn auth list on the codebase - those AOO committers who work on the codebase
as opposed to QA, Infra, Marketing and most importantly Translation.

> Apache is a flat organization. We don't make this distinction. Do we want to start playing
a marketing game of numbers, or do we want to put our energy into writing the best code? [4]

>> I think the committer status, covers much of the "certification", if we do
>> such a thing for developers, we should also do it for
>> QA, documenters etc.
>
> Exactly. If anything we should highlight our differences. We are an organization where
active contribution and engagement of all kinds is important. It is community over code. [1]
> .
>> I do like the lo page, as such, because it clearly shows who (and from
>> where) are paid, and who are volunteers. Such a list would be nice to have
>> for newcommers, especially if it included a line or two about the interest
>> of each.
>
> We have built similar information. Committers just need to maintain it.
>
> It is currently in the CWiki here [2]
>
> Originally it was here [3]
>
> We could add more here, or we could describe that the project is a community of volunteers,
etc. We could remind committers to update their details on the wiki or request help with doing
so.

> Regards,
> Dave
>
> [1] http://communityovercode.com/
> [2] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Directory+of+Volunteers
> [3] http://openoffice.apache.org/people.html
>
> [4] I don't want to restart this discussion, but this is one reason why I am against
having a different svn auth list for the codebase unless there is a demonstrated problem.
This may be done in private. If I have inexplicably changed my mind later then it will be
because a real security threat to the AOO codebase is manifest.