openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Guy Waterval <waterval....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Upgrading extensions for AOO 4.0
Date Sun, 30 Jun 2013 14:21:03 GMT
Hi Rob,

2013/6/30 Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org>

> On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 6:56 PM, Guy Waterval <waterval.guy@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > As you know, some extensions have to be upgraded for AOO 4.0.
> > What to do if some authors refuse to make the necessary modifications and
> > decide to make their extensions only  available for Libo because they are
> > not "in love" with AOO?
>
> If someone is creating an extension for free and they want to benefit
> the most number of users, then they will make it available for AOO.
> Why?  Because of the very large user base we have.
>
> If someone is creating an extension and selling it, then they will
> also want to make it available for AOO, and for the same reason.
>
> It is always possible that someone could have ideological motivations
> and care about that more than public benefit or money.  But in that
> case they could have acted at any time and removed their extension
> from the AOO repository.

It seems logical indeed, but it's removing the problem perhaps a little
quickly. There is the disadvantage of having to maintain two versions in
parallel. Some authors could choose to do further development for the
product that has their preference and that they use every day, not even
necessarily for ideological reasons. Anyway, we will have the answer soon
enough now.

> > Some of these extensions are important, I think (pdf import, for
> instance).
> > I wonder if it could be possible to buy the service here. But I have no
> > idea of the required price for such a work, Perhaps an opportunity for
> > people who will develop a commercial activity around AOO ?
> >

> I think there are several good business models related to extension
> development.

Indeed, some extensions are very helpful to request from administrations an
authorization to install AOO in parallel with MS Office, because they
provide features that are not directly available with MS or only through
heavy license fees.

A+
--
gw