openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andre Fischer <awf....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Triage for AOO 4.0.0 Release Blockers
Date Fri, 21 Jun 2013 07:50:31 GMT
On 21.06.2013 08:57, J├╝rgen Schmidt wrote:
> On 6/20/13 8:01 PM, Edwin Sharp wrote:
>> Yes.
>> please allow to share the following objections:
>> 1. in general, bugs shouldn't be rated
> I disagree here and you always rate issues starting with setting a
> priority. And as always you can't fix them all with a fix number of
> developers. It simply doesn't work. That means you have to prioritize
> and that is quite normal.
>
>> 2. most are crashes - "release blocker" can be other than crash - i.e. copy chart
from Calc into Writer results in chart area without curve. this is a huge bug that doesn't
involve a crash
> exactly and we have defined some criteria for issues, crashes, data loss
> and security issues have always high priority. Regressions are also very
> important especially when often used functionality is broken.
>
> It is documented in the wiki but I haven't the reference in place yet,
> have to look for it.
>
>> 3. with all the respect to Norwegian users, print dialog too wide is a negligible
problem
> not for this specific user group and the fix is already available.
>
>> 4. there should be a documented evidence to the bug evaluation process, based on
approved SOP
> I am not sure if I understand you here
>
>> 5. the general public has no declared release date - no need to rush as there is
no commitment to fulfill
> no but the project have committed to a release date and I believe the
> majority of the community support the new release. You have to set a
> date and have define what is important for this date. You can always do
> more and can fix more issues but that won't work very well.
>
>> 6. "minor" bugs should also get attention and be targeted
> definitely but not short in front of a release. And of course nobody
> prevent anybody from fixing such issues. We have a lot of them, many are
> probably not longer valid and can be closed, other are not easy to fix
> and so on. A good start would be of course to simply check older issues
> if they are still valid or not.
>
>> 7. the judgment of introducing the sidebar with so many pending bugs should be justified
to demonstrate openness
> as far as I know we haven't pending bugs here. Don't mix this up with
> improvement or feature requests. Maybe I don't understand you and you
> can explain it again
>
>> 8. RTF is rarely used today - no reason for two appearances in the list
> RTF is as far as I known relevant for Ms interoperability in general and
> important for other MS filters as well. Even the pure format is not used
> often the functionality is important. If somebody knows more please
> correct me.
>
>> 9. Are there no "critical" bugs in Math, Draw and Base?
> probably yes and probably many other critical bugs in other areas that
> are not detected yet or not proposed as showstopper

I have just make a quick check how many bugs belong to which area.
Bugzilla is currently down for its daily maintenance (or whatever) so
there may be errors.

Writer,  8 bugs: 120250, 120513, 121143, 121435, 121479, 121751, 121925,
121977
Calc,  1 bug: 121008
Impress, 2 bugs: 121256, 120559

General, 4 bugs: 120443, 121968, 122163, 122300

So, half of the bugs where found in Writer.  These numbers are not
unexpected.  Writer is the application that is used by most of our users
(but I don't have the numbers to prove it, does anybody else?).  Math,
Draw and Base are our least used applications.  I would just have
expected a few more bugs for Calc.  But the total number of bugs is not
very large and a statistical analysis not really valid.

-Andre