openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [AOO 4.0]: migration of AOO 3.4.x/OOo 3.x user profile data - help needed
Date Tue, 18 Jun 2013 12:17:07 GMT
Hi,

On 18.06.2013 13:36, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 3:51 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
> <orwittmann@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> Is this safe? In a typical scenario, then, a user would have some
>>> extensions installed and he would see them imported in 4.0 without being
>>> warned about possible compatibility problems. Most of the extensions do
>>> not have a maxversion indication, so OpenOffice 4.0 will try and install
>>> them anyway, but some might be broken. And then the user is left alone
>>> in updating his extensions (which in theory he should be prompted to do
>>> after installation, assuming this mechanism is restored), but he
>>> wouldn't have a way to go back before it's too late.
>>>

>> I had a close look at the functionality to 'migrate the extensions from a
>> former user profile' and from my point of view we should give it a try.
>>
>> The function did the following:
>> It looks for the extensions which are installed for the user. These are
>> found in the former user profile. No shared-installed, bundled or
>> pre-registered extensions are considered. The found user-installed
>> extensions which are not on the blacklist are installed with the same
>> mechanism which is used when the users triggers in the installation.
>> I am activating an user interaction in case that an extension is already
>> installed - the same user interaction which is used when the user triggers
>> the installation of an already installed extension.
>>
>> On the blacklist will be the Presenter Screen and the Presentation Minimizer
>> as they are now integrated into OpenOffice.
>>

> Is the blacklist a static list? Or is it something that can be
> retried/updated from the website?

The blacklist is part of our source code. These are corresponding
entries in a XCU file - namely
main/officecfg/registry/data/org/openoffice/Setup.xcu
Have a look at my commit - revision 1494066 [1]. Search for
'ExcludedExtensions'

[1] http://svn.apache.org/r1494066

> If we can make the blacklist be "live" in a document that we can
> update, this is like maintaining our own max version field for the
> cases where the extension author neglected to do so.

Such a feature is possible.
It could be corresponding XML feed which OpenOffice could be accessed
via the Internet - like the XML feed for the update service.

Best regards, Oliver.