openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Article on the Register
Date Tue, 11 Jun 2013 16:42:25 GMT
RGB ES wrote:
> 2013/6/11 Rob Weir

I was quite surprised to read it. At least, if a journalist had to pick
a recent blog post from the OpenOffice blog, the one about release
schedules is definitely less interesting than other recent ones...

>>> You should find the email of the publication's news editor and write a
>>> polite yet firm complaint

Or just post a comment. Andre, did you try doing so? Maybe they will
rectify some clear factual errors in the article. I strongly recommend
that you post your comments there and not only here on the list.

>> So the best strategy is to ignore the the FUD and push accurate and
>> useful information onto our website.  That approach reaches more
>> users, and is under our control.
> +1. Talking about sites like El Reg means promoting them, and promotion
> means more weight on search engines for those lies

Note that the highly visible site is http://www.openoffice.org and not
the blog; the site is linked to the blog only through a link that is at
the bottom of the page and, moreover, is hidden under a JavaScript layer.

So something that we should do immediately is to create a simple block
with the titles of our latest three blog posts (from the official blog)
and put it on the homepage. And keep it updated manually, at least when
it's worth doing so.

That will give more visibility to the blog articles, for both users and
journalists. Both categories are important. And some journalists will
hopefully share my (personal, but probably not so personal) taste on
which are the posts to be featured!

Regards,
   Andrea.