openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [AOO 4.0]: migration of AOO 3.4.x/OOo 3.x user profile data - help needed
Date Mon, 03 Jun 2013 08:47:02 GMT
Hi,

small wrap-up at the top:
- nobody prefers to migrate extensions from AOO 3.4.x resp. OOo 3.x

more comments inline.

On 02.06.2013 13:17, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On 29/05/2013 Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:
>> On 28.05.2013 18:23, Rob Weir wrote:
>>> Do we need to worry about the "messy" profiles that occurred from OOo
>>> 3.3.0 upgrades to AOO 3.4.0? That was when we saw spell checking
>>> breaking, missing dictionaries, and crashes. One of the nice things
>>> about a "clean start" with AOO 4.0 was that we avoid these kinds of
>>> problems.
>>  From my point of view AOO 3.4.x users which had problems due to a
>> "messy" profile and had solved these problems, can migrate their profile
>> to AOO 4.0. AOO 3.4.x users which does not had solved their problems are
>> able to suppress the migration of their existing profile - see the
>> corresponding FirstStartWizard page for the user profile migration.
>
> I agree with Rob here that, since we had only a few widely reported bugs
> in OpenOffice 3.4.1 and one of them depended on the profile migration,
> we should be rather conservative.
>
> I agree it's better not to migrate extensions, since some of them might
> not work in OpenOffice 4 and their description.xml file in most cases
> will only state that they need "OpenOffice 3.0 or later".
>
>> Yes, an easy reset of the user profile would be great.
>
> This would be a very welcome improvement. Maybe technically this could
> invalidate the current profile and ask the user to restart OpenOffice,
> which would start on a clean profile. This would offer a good user
> experience (not optimal, since the optimal one would be triggered by a
> reinstallation too), and the right moment for the cleanup would be just
> after the code that checks if FirstStartWizard must be run and just
> before the profile is loaded and locked (which means that the
> "invalidate" bit must be set in a way that does not require profile
> access but probably a simple filesystem access... OK, I'll stop here!).
>
>> Thus, I assume that the risk of a defect or a regression is low when
>> solving issue 122398 and 122397 for AOO 4.0, except the issue which
>> would be "copied" from a "messy" user profile.
>
> This is a case to consider. So I would suggest to set the default answer
> to "Don't migrate" for extra safety, especially if we don't have an easy
> profile reset mechanism in place.

I agree.
But it will cause translation effort - see screenshot of
FirstStartWizard migration page [1]
String "...If you do not want to reuse any settings in %PRODUCTNAME
%PRODUCTVERSION, unmark the check box." will be change to "...If you do
want to reuse settings in %PRODUCTNAME %PRODUCTVERSION, mark the check box."

>> Thus, send my your AOO 3.4.x or OOo 3.x user profile in a compressed
>> form (.zip file or .tar.gz file or ...) or let me know, if you want
>> to try my builds.
>
> If you had a build available, it would be easier for the QA volunteers
> to test.

Yes, that would be the best.

I will make the changes on trunk. Then the buildbot builds and the
snapshot builds can be tested.
As all changes will contain the ID of the corresponding issue in the
submit summary, it will be easy to revert these changes.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/ooo/attachment.cgi?id=80738

Best regards, Oliver.