openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <rabas...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [RELEASE][TRANSLATION]: changes to the README file for 4.0
Date Sat, 01 Jun 2013 15:54:39 GMT
On Jun 1, 2013, at 10:55 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:

> On 29/05/2013 Rob Weir wrote:
>> On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 2:19 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/trunk/main/readlicense_oo/docs/readme/readme.xrm?view=log
>> I took a look.  Two things that I noticed.
>>
>> 1) It refers the reader to this URL for the latest version of the README:
>> http://www.openoffice.org/welcome/readme.html
>> But that page does not appear to have been updated since OOo 3.0.   Is
>> that URL correct?  If so I can enter a BZ issue so we remember to
>> update the contents of that page with the latest README.  On the other
>> hand, shouldn't this really be a per-version readme file?
>
> Yes, the web page must be updated before release. And, as for the per-version URL (like
readme-400.html), this is a tradeoff to decide upon, since this requires manual changes at
every release in all cases. So: either we "archive" old READMEs and link them from http://www.openoffice.org/welcome/readme.html
or we use a specific URL. Considering string freeze and translations, it's probably better
to do the former (archive the old ones) since it can be centralized and has a lesser impact
on contributors.

Crazy idea. What if we just made a sub domain for each release?  Or
equivalently a path under  ooo-site.  Then we could have hard-coded
standard paths in the code and other systems like:

www.openoffice.org/release/<version>/README

Could also do LICENSE, release notes, even the update notification XML files

So a special website per release. Then when we do a new release we
just do an svn copy to populate the new site, and update as needed.
The code then points to appropriate dir based on build time version
flag.

-Rob

>> 2) The README has many references to the Solaris platform, which is
>> not supported in the release.  Should that be migrated into a separate
>> readme that would be distributed by the Solaris port?
>
> The Solaris-specific strings are not displayed on other operating systems (you will see
CSS classes that are used to suppress them at the above URL). That said, they are probably
outdated and irrelevant indeed. I didn't move strings since it might have had an impact on
translation.