openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RELEASE][TRANSLATION]: changes to the README file for 4.0
Date Tue, 28 May 2013 23:31:08 GMT
On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 2:19 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
> On 23/05/2013 Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> So did someone already review it?  I don't want to duplicate effort if
>> this was already done.  But since the readme is primary material for
>> journalists it would be good to have it polished.
>

> It's not primary material for journalists, probably, since it's a rather
> uninteresting file (properly done "Release Notes" would be what we want
> journalists to read).
>
> Anyway, nobody reviewed it after my last revision:
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/trunk/main/readlicense_oo/docs/readme/readme.xrm?view=log
> So feel free to review the latest version there and commit the changes; if
> it is too late for translation, we can still use it for the online version.

I took a look.  Two things that I noticed.

1) It refers the reader to this URL for the latest version of the README:

http://www.openoffice.org/welcome/readme.html

But that page does not appear to have been updated since OOo 3.0.   Is
that URL correct?  If so I can enter a BZ issue so we remember to
update the contents of that page with the latest README.  On the other
hand, shouldn't this really be a per-version readme file?  It might be
appropriate for an OOo 3.x users to still point to the 3.x README.  So
maybe the URL in the README should be changed to readme-400.html or
something like that?

2) The README has many references to the Solaris platform, which is
not supported in the release.  Should that be migrated into a separate
readme that would be distributed by the Solaris port?

Regards,

-Rob