openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Whytock <dwhyt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Crowdfunding revisited
Date Thu, 02 May 2013 18:17:03 GMT
>From a developer's perspective I can understand this...you did work, you
want to be paid for doing it, it's not your fault your change didn't get
put in.

But from the perspective of someone wanting the change made, I could see an
expectation of getting past whatever hurdles may block committing being
part of the task.  The product, in this instance, is a production version
of AOO that has the desired change, and the payment represents the desire
to see that happen.

I could actually see a funder being satisfied if the change got put in
whether or not the person being funded did the coding.  If the funded
person was a PMC member who made a good case for the change being accepted,
the funder might not care who actually made the change.

Morally ugly, but I could see it.

Don

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 1:32 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> A caution and something to keep in mind and I am speaking from experience.
>
> Payment to a developer for working on a feature must not be tied or made
> contingent on that feature becoming part of the product. The developer
> ultimately has no control over the inclusion of a feature in a release.
>
> Including a feature in a release is something that only the PMC decides
> and we do it on our own schedule without regards to anyone else's plans.
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>
> On May 1, 2013, at 1:08 PM, Donald Whytock wrote:
>
> > We can take it from both directions...mention BountySource in the context
> > of people offering money for changes, and Catincan for people asking for
> > money for changes.  As examples of business models, along with VAR and
> > consulting.
> >

> > On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 3:40 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> >> changes
> >> it
> can.
> >> are
> >>>

> >> The tricky thing for us is that no committer's work is inviolable.
> >> Every committer has the ability to cast a technical veto.  So one
> >> would need to be careful how one expresses expectations.
> >>
> >> Extreme hypothetical:  Someone offers to pay a committer $10,000 if
> >> they add an advertisement to the splash screen of OpenOffice for
> >> www.OnlinePoker.com.  There is nothing we (Apache) can do to stop that
> >> work from being contracted.  But we can and would veto it from being
> >> included in a release.  But the committer could certainly provide a
> >> private build of that change to their customer, modulo any trademark
> >> issue that might occur.
> >>
> >> So one should not promise (in a contractual sense) to add a feature or
> >> a bug fix to the official AOO release, since the contents of a release
> >> is determined by the PMC via their release votes, and not any one
> >> committer.

> >> someone
> PMC

> >> It was an idea for a blog post I had.  It is still on my "list".  But
> >> if we decide to do something with Catincan it could prompt an even
> >> earlier post.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> -Rob

> >> only