openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From janI <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [WWW]The AOO blog gives a "502 Bad Gateway" error
Date Fri, 10 May 2013 15:15:48 GMT
On 10 May 2013 16:56, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 10:28 AM, RGB ES <rgb.mldc@gmail.com> wrote:
> > As in subject: the blog site is not working:
> >
> > "Bad Gateway
> >
> > The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
> > Apache/2.0.63 Server at blogs.apache.org Port 443"
> >

> Appears to back up now.
>
> I don't know if it is a coincidence or not, but our blog seems to go
> down whenever we have a high profile announcement.  We saw this with
> the 3.4.0 and 3.4.1 announcement as well.  In this case it went down
> right after I publicized the logo survey results to Twitter, Facebook,
> Google+ and the announcement mailing list.  The blog comes back
> eventually, but this does blunt the effect of any announcement, since
> many readers will  just see the error and move on, never returning
> later to try again.

The problem, as I see it, seems to be that blog.a.o goes through erebus,
together with a lot of other sites, and it seems erebus doesnt like burst
of traffic.

Switches have been changes within the last 24 hours, causing some of the
delays.

> I wonder whether it worth looking at putting Wordpress onto a VM and
> using that, maybe mapping it to blog.openoffice.org?  I use WordPress
> on my personal blog and with caching enabled I've withstood several
> Slashdot'ed posts without going down.  So it can handle the load.

I think we should make a strategy for www, blog, cwiki and mwiki so we get
feewer more integrated products, that work together.

If we do that, we could put it on 1 vm, and have a lot less maintenance.

that said, I have good experience with wordpress...and would love to use it
not only for blog but also www.

rgds
jan I.