openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Jürgen Schmidt <jogischm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Find a better name for "sidebar"?
Date Thu, 23 May 2013 12:42:31 GMT
On 5/23/13 2:20 PM, Jörg Schmidt wrote:

>> I understand it quite well but in the end the work have to done. The
>> term sidebar is not new and the work is ongoing since month
>> and we have
>> many other things to do. I feel it very mistimed to start such a
>> discussion now.
>
> You're right, a great discussion, would be at the present time, wrong.
>
> But we should not give the chance to someone suggests a word that all like so much that
we feel it is right for it to use?

> It is not meant seriously, but let me say this, I think you believe (I do not know if
that's really true) the good code (QA, ...) is _very very very much more_ important than marketing,
and I think he's _just much more_ important. ;-)

no you are wrong, I believe marketing is very important but I have
stopped dreaming. We had already several discussion and the outcome was
let's say limited... I would be happy if somebody pushed forward with
good ideas and a consistent and good strategy. I no expert, I am
interested in marketing and have ideas but no time...

LO is probably 70-80% marketing and that is something they do quite
well. Well I am not sure if I personally would support their aggressive
approach, especially because I think that competition against us is
stupid and completely off topic but that is something else. They are at
least visible, make noise and are well know in the Linux world.

And we have > 50 million downloads in 1 year with a good product.

But again convince me that there are people who are interested and have
the skills to do good markting for AOO as well.

Juergen