openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: Find a better name for "sidebar"?
Date Thu, 23 May 2013 08:36:18 GMT
On Thu, 23 May 2013 10:16:55 +0200
Jörg Schmidt <joesch@j-m-schmidt.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Would not it make sense to think about the sidebar to give a distinctive name?
> OOo and StarOffice but were really known for standalone name of GUI elements.
>
> What I mean are terms such as "Navigator", "Giesskanne" or "Datenpilot" (all German).
>
> I think the sidebar is very welcomed by our users (so much so that LibreOffice is to
copy it) and I think she deserves a distinctive name.
> A catchy name would also be good for the marketing for the new sidebar.
>
> Is it possible to finding a name to make a brainstorming session? Or to write out a little
contest?

"Navigator" is already taken (F5 key turns it on/off).  "Toolbar" is inaccurate and in too
common use; I have seen "Toolbox" used in other programs (years ago in CP/M and early MSDOS
days).

Perhaps "Toolpanel"?

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>