openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: draft blog post: press@ - It's easy to get first hand information
Date Wed, 03 Apr 2013 14:15:40 GMT
On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Jürgen Schmidt <jogischmidt@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 4/3/13 2:45 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 8:10 AM, Jürgen Schmidt <jogischmidt@gmail.com
> >wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am a little bit annoyed about the often bad researched articles about
> >> OpenOffice or at least articles spreading wrong information about
> >> OpenOffice. I don't know exactly why authors do such a poor job with
> >> their research of correct information where it is so easy on the other
> >> hand to get first information. The idea is to raise some awareness that
> >> the info found in the web is not always true and it is much better to
> >> get first hand information from the project and the people behind it
> >> directly. Nobody have to rely on third party information found somewhere
> >> when first hand information can be get so so easy.
> >>

> >> Well the wording can and should be improved and I am sure others will
> >> have further ideas to improve it or make it even better to send out the
> >> right signal. Se please review the draft and your feedback is welcome.
> >> It's mainly an idea and I am not sure if it is the best way to address
> >> this.
> >>

> > If we wait a little longer we might be able to achieve the safe effect
> but
> > with a more positive message.  I've been slowly updating the old "press
> kit
> > page":
> >
> > http://www.openoffice.org/marketing/press_kit.html
> >
> > I also started to look at preparing new screenshots for AOO 3.4.1 and AOO
> > 4.0, so there is easy to use material for articles.
> >
> > And as you know, we now have the press@o.a.o email address.
> >
> > Once that is done, then we could have a positive message about how we're
> > helping the press.
> >
> > What is the saying? You catch more flies with honey than vinegar?
>
> sure and as I mentioned before I am not sure if it would be the best
> way. I thought I could address two things in one blog. First that it is
> easy to contact the project and get first hand information. And second
> to raise some awareness that it is not really clever to use bad
> researched or wrong material. But is probably useless anyway.

It may be useless, unfortunately.  The fact is that not everyone who writes
articles is a journalist.  Much if it is "opinion" or "editorial" content
and has far lower standards.  So some articles are little more than blogs
with a prestigious address.  They are not held to journalistic standards.
So if you complain that they are biased, or that they don't confirm
information, or they don't seek balancing points of view, it means nothing
to them.  It is not their goal to be journalists.  The have opinions and
push their point of view, and if that drives traffic and eyeballs to the
website, then the editors and owners are happy.

But there are many real journalists out there, who do take the time to
check facts, etc.  They are the minority, but they exist.  A good
journalist does not just take a LibreOffice blog post and turn it into an
article.  But they won't just take an AOO blog post and run with that
either.  They need real news, something worth writing about, not just
vaporware, speculation or inflated claims.

I'm starting to create a list of "real" journalists who cover this area and
who have given neutral to positive coverage of AOO, along with their
contact information.  It will be important to reach out to them when we
have real news that may be interesting to them.  We need to do the leg
work.  We can't depend on them coming to us.   For obvious reasons I'm not
sharing the details of my list on the mailing list, but if anyone wants to
help in this effort, let me know and I can share the information.

Regards,

-Rob