openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal: Improve security by limiting committer access in SVN
Date Wed, 03 Apr 2013 17:45:30 GMT
J├╝rgen Schmidt wrote: [...]
> [...]

I don't think this would greatly increase security, since the current
review model would still be the better defense. But surely this doesn't
decrease security and doesn't impact on people who are not using it.

> I see also no problem if we handle it more careful and give svn access
> to the code on demand only. Nobody should take it personal

Before we manage again to make simple discussions complex, let's see:
- All committers have the right to have write access to the source code
- By default 3 subtrees (trunk, tags, branches) are read-only
- Any committer can receive write access to the 3 subtrees immediately,
by sending an e-mail here

This could be fine for me, provided that:

1) We have the right way to manage this (another LDAP group does not
look like the right solution: people who don't want to understand
correctly will invent that this is a multi-level hierarchy while it
would simply be a permission that we enable on demand)

2) Enabling write access is extremely simple, especially if this is
something that I must take care of! Something like the current
"modify_unix_group.pl" scripts currently used for the committers group.

Regards,
   Andrea.