openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: Improve security by limiting committer access in SVN
Date Thu, 04 Apr 2013 17:59:31 GMT
Speaking as one of those "old-hands", Dennis is absolutely spot-on.

Partitions, barriers, sub-groups... I call those "divisive" mechanisms
which serve to divide the community. Such divisions are rarely needed.

As Andrea points out, in Subversion's 13 year history, we have only
*requested* people observe certain fences. We have never had a
problem. We have never had to take sanctions. A stray commit here and
there? Sure, it has happened, with the best intent, so we just point
out that they need a bit more caution. No harm done.

Back to Dennis' point: the solution here is proper review of the
commits that occur. (IMO) NOT a way to *exclude* or to *limit* the
potential contributions of others.

Cheers,
-g

On Thu, Apr 04, 2013 at 09:23:39AM -0700, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> In previous generations of this kind of discussion, the ASF old-hands will point out
that the social process works quite well, folks don't do commits unless they feel qualified
to do so, and it is often the case that committers will request RTC (i.e., submit patches
rather than update the SVN) in contributing where they are not experienced or don't consider
themselves expert.

> At the ASF this appears to be one of those, "if it is not broken, don't fix it."
>
> There is still the concern about stolen credentials used to perform undetected malicious
acts.  If the oversight that the project naturally brings to bear on visible changes to the
code base is insufficient, I think the problem is greater than there being a possible exploit
of that inattention.  Mechanical solutions may be part of the disease, not the cure [;<).