openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code 2013: Coming sooner than you think
Date Sun, 10 Mar 2013 13:35:25 GMT
On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 5:14 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
> On 15/02/2013 Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> We can enter ideas there:
>> http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Summer_of_Code_2013
>

> Going back to Summer of Code... is anyone willing to take the lead here? It
> is a very good opportunity for the project and most of the work is already
> done at the ASF level. Potential mentors are invited to read
> http://community.apache.org/guide-to-being-a-mentor.html
> and tasks should be filed in the Comdev JIRA (see link). But if we identify
> one or two volunteers willing to drive this, participating in Summer of Code
> would be much easier.

Fortunately we don't need very much organization at the project level.
 Most of the work is done by the ongoing mentors.  But we do need
someone to do the following project-level things:

1) Subscribe to dev@community.apache.org so they are aware of
GSoC-related announcements and discussions

2) Keep the project reminded about deadlines

3) Push for any needed project-wide decisions.  For example, the PMC
may be required to approve any GSoC mentors representing the project.

But once the GSoC program starts, the students do most of the work,
with the mentors providing consultations and review.

-Rob