openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tutorial: dedicated website
Date Mon, 18 Mar 2013 21:54:38 GMT
On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 4:41 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org>wrote:

> FR web forum wrote:
>
>> I don't see a big advantage in terms of usability between the MWiki we
>>> already have and any other CMS.
>>>
>> Well, why Extensions or Templates website don't use MWiki in this case?
>>

> It is a different use case (even leaving historical reasons aside). For
> example, tutorials are something that people could cooperate in writing and
> that may get updated often, and this is best done on a wiki (or forum; at
> least this is my understanding of it), while extensions for example are
> closer to software releases.
>

>  You must think to end-users that have write a tutorial.
>>

> I'm trying to, but, again, do you have a few examples? Maybe tutorials
> that you wrote yourself and that would be difficult to upload to one of the
> existing resources?
>

>  A Wiki need to have specific skill to publish.
>>

> You are right if you mean that on MWiki it is unnecessarily long and
> complex, for example, to upload attachments. Actually, it seems that the
> Forum currently offers good possibilities for those who want to publish
> tutorials: pages like
> http://forum.openoffice.org/**en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=**67<http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=67>
> http://forum.openoffice.org/**en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=**12426<http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426>
> are done quite easily on the Forum, are very visible from search engines
> and can be updated as often as needed. And if someone wants to attach a PDF
> version this can be done easily.
>
> What would the biggest advantage be for you? Ease of use (for users who
> wrote a tutorial and want to publish it) or visibility (like having a
> dedicated tutorials.openoffice.org website where we consolidate all
> tutorials)? And how many tutorials could it be reasonable to have? Could we
> reach hundreds of tutorials, for example?
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

Even though I do find the wiki cumbersome at times, I also often wonder if
we installed some different/navigation tools (I asked about this a long
time ago and maybe now's the time to go exploring) that would help with
some of this.
This is why I like the cwiki navigation -- you don't need to link TO
anything. Just put whatever it is under a category and it's relatively easy
to find.

In reference to establishing a link to "tutorials.openoffice.org". Could
this be done with a rewrite to a specific area on the wiki? I think maybe
it could.

At this point, given the services like this we already use, Confluence,
MediaWiki, thinking about yet another one doesn't seem like a good approach
to me. Converting from one  to something else might be reasonable but not
introducing something else. We have quite a collection of tutorials already
on wiki.openoffice.org. I think we  need to consider our current
resources  -- platforms, people -- carefully.

MzK

"Achieving happiness requires the right combination of Zen and Zin."