openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Volunteering
Date Sat, 02 Feb 2013 15:09:17 GMT
On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 8:26 AM, Chris Delroy
<mrchristie_23uk@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Good afternoon,

Hello Christian,

Thanks for writing to us and expressing an interest in volunteering
with the Apache OpenOffice project.  It sounds like you have interest
and experience that crosses over a few of our project areas, including
marketing and development.

We have several mailing lists [1] where various specialized topics are
discussed.   But a good first place to start is our New Volunteer
Orientation modules [2] which will help you understand how the project
works.  The first few ("Level 1") pages explain how we work and make
decisions in general.  This is good background especially if you have
not contributed to an open source project before.  Their are also
modules for getting started with Dev, QA, Localization and Marketing.
Feel free to explore whichever of those look interesting to you.

[2] http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/index.html

Regards,

-Rob

> My name is Christian Delroy. I work as one of the manager's at the Waterstones bookshop
in Manchester on Deansgate. In September of last year I began studying computer science and
engineering with the Open University. This has afforded me with a fantastic foundation in
software programming that I am hoping to build upon over the course of my studies with the
OU. I've studied HTML4 in my creative arts program that I studied while I was in college in
Canada, and I have recently began designing a website for our shop here on Deansgate with
the CMS Wordpress in a bid to promote our Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and author events.
I've recently been discussing the possibility of Waterstones changing their business model
to incorporate OpenOffice as an alternative to Microsoft Office across the company with the
combination of GoogleDocs as a means of sharing pertinent documents locally throughout individual
stores and using OpenOffice for the business tasks when dealing between shops. I have limited
experience with C/C++ programming, however I recently dual booted by PC with Linux in a bid
to begin programming a Raspberyy Pi. I've been doing some research in to Python and Apache
programming which, invariably, led me to the site wherein I found that I could volunteer to
help out with OpeOffice. I'm still not really sure how the project works, however I am here
to learn and will input any of my experience as is deemed necessary. I look forward to your
reply in great anticipation.