openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Whytock <dwhyt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Interesting blog post on Crowd-funding of open source development
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2013 16:49:25 GMT
On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 9:02 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> Looking at how these sites are actually being used, it looks more like:
>
> 1) Users offering monetary rewards to fix specific bugs or make
> specific enhancements.  The rewards are on the order of 10-100 USD,
> not large enough to actually fund a developer's time (at prevailing
> rates) but more of a token reward, a way of drawing attention to the
> bug, giving recognition to the developer.
>
> 2) Developers describing more significant features that they would
> develop for a given amount is pledged.  These are more significant
> amounts, 7000 USD I saw in one case.  The interesting aspect of it is
> that the funds do not need to come from one user.  Typically several
> (many) users pledge a small amount, and if the total amount reaches
> the target then the developer promises to develop the feature.
>
> IMHO this is good for users and developers.   We already have the
> means for customers with heavy needs to buy the support they need.
> They either employ an engineer directly, or hire a consultant.  But
> this is out of reach for individual users, or many small businesses
> who might just need something small done, but can't do it themselves.
>
> -Rob

A couple things...

First of all, wasn't this along the lines of TeamOpenOffice's business model?

Second, people pledge money to kickstarters to accomplish certain
things.  As in, the money generally comes either before or while
things are getting done.  But, AOO being the volunteer-driven project
that it is, what if some bug's resolution is being kickstart-funded
but some volunteer wakes up at 3 am with an itch and solves the bug
independently?  What would happen with the pledged money?

Don