openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: update service for not released languages [was: Re: Registration]
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2013 10:17:27 GMT
Hi,

On 26.02.2013 22:48, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 3:35 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
> <orwittmann@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> For those cases it would be better to wait until 3.4.1 is out, then
>>> provide, for
>>> unsupported languages, some "beta/RC" builds or langpacks based on the
>>> same SVN
>>> revision and the SDF files we have now and create a page saying something
>>> like
>>> "your language is not officially supported, but you can help us [links to
>>> unofficial builds and instructions]". But this is just an idea that we can
>>> discuss after 3.4.1 is released.
>>>

>> Yes, I would definitely wait until AOO 3.4.1 is out.
>>
>> Having unofficial language packs for our unsupported languages would be a
>> good idea, esp. to attract some new volunteers for translations.
>>
>> I will keep your's and Rob's idea in mind for my planned future work on the
>> update service.
>>

> Now that the 3.4.1 language respin is released I'd like to bring back
> to mind this earlier discussion.   There are (we assume) many users
> out there still running OOo 3.3.0 or earlier.  Even months after 3.4.0
> and 3.4.1 were released we get a steady stream of upgrades from OOo
> 3.3.0, 3.2.1 and 3.2.0.
>
> But we're only advertising upgrades for those cases where we have a
> translation for that language.  I wonder if we could use the upgrade
> notification message as a form of recruitment for translation help in
> AOO 4.0?

Yes, the update service could be used for it.
For each language we are able to provide its own web site URL. Thus, we
could use a landing page URL for languages for which we have no release.

I will have a look, if the message shown in the update service dialog in
the running OOo 3.2, 3.2.1 and 3.3 instance can already contain a
corresponding short message that the new version is not available in the
requested language.

> One idea would be this:
>
> 1) Create a landing page on the website that makes the following points:
>
> a) You are running an older version of OpenOffice.  A more recent one
> is available, AOO 3.4.1, available in the following languages...
>
> b) We're working on a new 4.0 release with many exciting feature
> (point to blog post).  We'd love to support your language, but need
> help with translation.  If you want to help, or know someone who might
> be interested, here is where to find more information on how to get
> involved...
>
> c) Sign up here on the announcement mailing list (or Facebook, or
> Twitter or Google+) to be notified when AOO 4.0 is released
>
> 2) Then enable update notifications for all languages not included in
> AOO 3.4.1, and point the user to the new landing page.
>
> 3) After a week revert the update configuration file on our server to
> the earlier state, so users do not get this message repeatedly.  (By
> default it should check only once a week).
>
> I think something like the above would be great to do in the near
> term, since it would give enough time for new volunteers to complete
> translations in time for AOO 4.0.

+1 from my side.
ad 3): may extend to two weeks

Best regards, Oliver.