openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From TJ Frazier <tjfraz...@cfl.rr.com>
Subject Re: [question] what is text [ x-comment ]
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2013 12:57:15 GMT
Hi, Jan,

On 2/22/2013 06:21, janI wrote:
> On 22 February 2013 10:10, J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischmidt@gmail.com> wrote:

>> one

>> translation

>>> the trigger today is the missing "xml:*lang=" only tags with that are
>>> extracted.
>>>
>>> the x-comment are not extracted to the sdf files, so the translators
>> never
>>> gets the information.

>>> Thx for your guess, it works well with my guess (meaning I could remove
>>> x-comment).
>>>
>>> I hope someone has some cool facts.
>>
>> no cool facts but Andre's guess sounds reasonable and it is possible
>> that it was an idea to provide some context information to translators
>> but that the process was never finalized.
>>
>> Juergen
>>

> Both you and andre are in sync with what I think.
>
> If nobody objects within the next 72 hours using lazy consensus, I will
> remove x-comment, and the new tool (just as the current tool) will not use
> the messages.
>
> rgds
> Jan I.

Just a suggestion (not an objection; I'm not the one doing any of the
work!).

(1) IMHO, any human-readable language that does not have some "comment"
facility is seriously deficient. I am thinking of everything from a
simple asterisk in column 1, to the elaborate HTML "<!-- ... -->" which
we sometimes see on the wiki.
(2) Assuming that your output language(s) have such a facility, you
might consider transforming "x-comment" into a comment in the output.

/tj/