openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Hagar Delest <hagar.del...@laposte.net>
Subject Re: 4.0 and loss of backward compatibility for extensions with toolbar
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2013 22:31:09 GMT
Le 12/02/2013 13:05, Rob Weir a écrit :
> I don't know.  I was asking a question.  But I think this is an
> important question:  Why would an extension author not update their
> extension for AOO 4.0?  Some hypothetical answers:
>
> 1) The extension is unmaintained

One of the top reasons I guess. I myslef made extensions for my own use. I would have to tweak
it. Since I've done them some time ago, I would have to dive again in specifications to make
the changes.

> 2)  The author cannot be located or we have no way to notify them of changes

May be related to 1).

> 3) It is not clear to the author what technical changes are needed

Was a communication plan issued to warn the authors about that?
Don't tell me the release notes are for that. Almost nobody read the release notes (at least
until the end).
I guess that many extensions mlaintainers don't follow this dev list at all.

> 4) There is not sufficient calendar time for the extension author to
> make the needed changes before we release, or the work required is too
> much for the author to fit into his schedule

May be related to 3). Without any warning, few chances to implement any change.

> 5) The author attempts changes but they don't work or they introduce
> new problems

Rather unlikely.

> 6) The results of not making the changes is not clear, so the author
> mistakenly thinks they are optional changes

Or he just don't care anymore about the extension. So it needs to be taken over by someone
else. But how we could know that?

> 7) Author has technical or account issues with the extensions website
> and is unable to upload a new version, and does not know where to get
> help.
>
> These are all possible concerns, but I think most of them can be
> managed with good communications and advance notice.
>
> There is also the possibility of:
>
> 8) Inconvenience -- it is natural for anyone to complain about needing
> to do additional work where they don't see the advantage.  So it is
> natural that we will expect complaints, followed in the end by
> conformance with the required changes.

Yes but what about the loss of confidence from users who will be first frustrated by an upgrade
that breaks more things than fix them? Then they will have to do some homework to find out
what the problem is (again, don't tell me about release notes). And wait in the end for someone
to fix it. What if they do need their extensions meanwhile?

One side aspect: what about extension update warning? If a new version is detected but the
user doesn't upgrade to 4.0, are we sure that the minimal version will be checked first, before
the new extension is installed by the user? Has he to download it before being warned that
it's in fact not compatible with his current AOO/OOo version?

I'm not against the change. I'm for a controlled one, that has no impact on end-users. So
the main points are: communication to the extensions maintainers (what about the extensions
hosted on their personal pages and not on sourceforge?), preparation of the updates and transition
period.

Hagar