openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache OpenOffice in Fedora 19?
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2013 23:59:27 GMT
Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 06, 2013 at 09:13:18PM +0100, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> Fedora will branch for Alpha on 2 Apr 2013: we must have something
>> decently packaged by that time. At FOSDEM I met the Fedora people
>> together with Herbert and Andre, so we already have some knowledge
>> of the process. ...
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ApacheOpenOffice
> Does the "we must" mean the this project will be the package maintainer?

There might be a distinction between "the project" and "individuals from
the project", but yes, essentially this is work that is better done by
project volunteers: there are a number of issues with packaging that the
project must be aware of, and there's no better way than actually trying.

My main concern on the "can we work on the Fedora packaging within the
project?" issue was the license of the spec files that the RPMs must be
based on, but people on the Fedora list clarified today that the spec
file is under the MIT license, and thus "Category A" (i.e., something
that the project can incorporate and use; it is not going to be formally
released anyway):
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:Main?rd=Licensing#License_of_Fedora_SPEC_Files

I'll surely have a look at packaging, but everybody is of course welcome
to join. I already have some notes: shall I start a wiki page?

Note: I'm not saying that the packaging for ALL Linux distributions
should be done within the project; I'm saying that it's good to do this
first packaging within the project to be sure that we capture the many
issues that we are going to meet...

Regards,
   Andrea.