openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <orc...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Solving this 0⁰ issue correctly (was Re: Calc behavior: result of 0 ^ 0)
Date Wed, 20 Feb 2013 23:10:34 GMT
Ah, very good.  Yes I see Normative Appendix F in ISO/IEC 9899:1999 (C99), along with

"An implementation that defines _ _STDC_IEC_559_ _ shall conform to the specifications
 in this annex. Where a binding between the C language and IEC 60559 is indicated,
 the IEC 60559-specified behavior is adopted by reference, unless stated otherwise."
 [section F.1]

which is, of course, why it is not bolted into the main text of the standard.

This carries through to ISO/IEC 9899:2011.

Thanks for connecting that particular dot,

 - Dennis

PS: There is no counterpart of Appendix F in ISO/IEC 14882:1998 (C++) nor ISO/IEC 14882:2003
and ISO/IEC 14882:2011.  I assume this is because C++ has the numeric_limits class to account
for the variations in implementations without any mention of IEC 60559 (or the IEEE counterpart
on which it derives).  Also, these rely on a variable is_iec559 and specify a number of numeric_limits
conditionally on iec559 != false.  The declaration of conformance to IEC [60]559 (IEEE 754)
does not make any of the exceptions that are in ISO C Appendix F.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Weir [mailto:robweir@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 14:08
To: dev@openoffice.apache.org; orcmid@apache.org
Subject: Re: Solving this 0⁰ issue correctly (was Re: Calc behavior: result of 0 ^ 0)

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 4:37 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <orcmid@apache.org> wrote:
> I earlier quoted the applicable (and only) texts from the Standards themselves, particularly
C++ and also the latest C Standard (2011 and C99 with all Technical Corrigenda through 2007).

> No matter what is said about pow(0,0) in the C99 Rationale v5.10 Appendix F of April
2003, there are no such requirements in the Standards, including those versions that have
been adopted since 2003.

>  - Dennis

[ ... ]

In other words, C99, in a normative Annex F, section 9.4.4, for
implementations that conform to IEEE 754 floating point, says:

"pow(x, ±0) returns 1 for any x, even a NaN."

Do you see something different?

I'd like to make sure we're seeing the same thing here.

-Rob

[ ... ]