openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <orc...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Calc behavior: result of 0 ^ 0
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2013 01:25:00 GMT
For the record, I checked IS29500-1 (:2008 and :2011) on what the rules are for OOXML.

OOXML does not specify any edge cases or failure modes for SERIESSUM whatsoever.  It simply
gives the mathematical expansion and provides a non-revealing example.

On the other hand, POWER(0,0) is defined to return #DIV/0!  The definitions are carried over
verbatim from ECMA-376-4 of December 2006.

Nevertheless, Excel 2010 and 2013 (Preview) both result in #NUM! for =POWER(0,0).

(Sigh)

-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis E. Hamilton [mailto:orcmid@apache.org]
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2013 16:49
To: dev@openoffice.apache.org
Subject: RE: Calc behavior: result of 0 ^ 0

[ ... ]

PS: It appears that Excel does not satisfy the OpenFormula definition.  =SERIESSUM(0,0,1,C1:C1)
where C1 = PI() returns #NUM!  SERIESSUM(1,0,1,C1:C1) returns PI().  This is the case for
Excel 2010 and Excel 2013 (Preview).  Since SERIESSUM has no implementation in Apache OpenOffice,
any interchange-interoperability failure is yet to come.