openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Stuart <DerTop...@web.de>
Subject Re: [www] Want to add documentation to http://www.openoffice.org/udk/ or http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Uno/
Date Sun, 20 Jan 2013 23:17:17 GMT

On 01/20/2013 Regina Henschel wrote:
 > Hi Stefan,
 >
 > welcome to the AOO project. We have the documentation mailing list,
 > see
 > http://openoffice.apache.org/mailing-lists.html#documentation-
 > mailing-list-public.
 > You should subscribe to that list too.
 >

> Do you want to write in English or in German or both?

As I want to start with the Programmer's Guide I will only write in English.

Stuart schrieb:
>> I found that the framework documentation
>> (http://docs.libreoffice.org/framework.html) contains only a single
>> link to the OO site (http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Framework), and
>> the information that can be found at the OO site seems to be only a
>> stub. I can't imagine that everybody just reads the source code in
>> order to find out how UNO works, so I'd like to add some information.
>>
>> The UNO documentation does not offer more insights either. Both sites
>> http://www.openoffice.org/udk/ and http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Uno/
>> offer much information about the concepts of UNO.
>>
>> Besides this, I'd also like to add some information about how one can
>> contribute to the Programmer's Guide. I'd be happy to contribute, but
>> unfortunately neither LibreOffice nor OpenOffice make it easy to
>> contribute (unlike Wikipedia).
>>
>> So I guess that I have to apply for some kind of account.

On 01/20/2013 Regina Henschel wrote:
> Our documentation will be on http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Main_Page,
> here called "MWiki".

OK. I already found that http://www.openoffice.org/udk/ should be
transferred to http://wiki.openoffice.org in
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Uno ("It is planned to move most content
from the http://udk.openoffice.org pages into the Wiki."). However, the
http://www.openoffice.org/udk/ does not advertise this transition. I
don't know how one can change http://www.openoffice.org/udk/. Maybe you
can give me a clue?

Apart from that I found this page:
http://www.openoffice.org/udk/common/man/uno.html
which contains some statements about why the OpenOffice team decided to
implement their own Component Framework instead of using one of the
exisiting frameworks like COM or CORBA. However, I did not find any way
to get from the main page http://www.openoffice.org/udk to
http://www.openoffice.org/udk/common/man/uno.html
If I hadn't used Google, I would never have found this page ;-(

Futhermore I realized that large amount of information about UNO can be
found under
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/OpenOffice.org_Developers_Guide

IMHO, this page should be more accessable (I have only found the
following way to get to this page:
1.) http://www.openoffice.org
    -> click "I want to participate"
2.) http://openoffice.apache.org/get-involved.html
    -> I would expect another page where I can chose
       between
        - User's Manual
        - Source code
        - Programmer's Manual
        - Distribution
     Instead I have to scroll down almost to the end and click on
     "New Volunteer Orientation"
3.) I have to click all the links. Under
     "Available Orientation Modules"
       -> "Level 3: Introductory Specialized Areas"
          -> "(Draft)Introduction to Development"
4.) http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/intro-development.html
     I finally got one step closer to the Programmer's Manual. However,
     I still have to scroll down two pages until I get to "Other
     sources". Voila, I found
     http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide
          /OpenOffice.org_Developers_Guide

So far I have found three places where information about UNO is stored.
One of them is declared as dead and should be transferred.
However, it would be good to find a single place where this information
should be stored. I don't want to overthrow any established procedures
in these matters.

> The MWiki-software is the same as for Wikipedia.
> You register for an account and write then. To minimize spam, persons
> with a new account have to wait four days till write access is enabled.
> So please be patient.

Thanks,
Stefan