openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: In case you missed it: The OpenOffice Wikipedia page was FUD'ed over the holidays
Date Mon, 21 Jan 2013 21:09:31 GMT
On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 3:40 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts <louis@apache.org> wrote:
> [...]
>> object to an article or a piece thereof.  This comes out largely as
>> finger-pointing with a laser sight, but it lends legitimacy to an
>> argument.
>>
>> Regarding conflicts of interest:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Plain_and_simple_conflict_of_interest_guide
>>
>> This mostly concerns being personally involved with the subject
>> matter.  Whether offering a competing product and being personally
>> committed to the belittlement of the subject matter comprises
>> "personal involvement" is a complicated question.
>>
>> Regarding opinionated content:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:What_Wikipedia_is_not#Wikipedia_is_not_a_soapbox_or_means_of_promotion
>>
>> AKA
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:NOTSOAPBOX
>>
>> This specifically states that if there are going to be fights over
>> things they shouldn't happen in Wikipedia articles.  As others have
>> said, a straight presentation of facts is fine, even if the reader
>> doesn't particularly care for them, but things like motivations and
>> value judgments aren't facts.  At best, one can say that such-and-such
>> person claimed such motivations exist or made such-and-such value
>> judgments.
>>
>> Just above that is
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:What_Wikipedia_is_not#Wikipedia_is_not_a_publisher_of_original_thought
>>
>> AKA
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:NOTFORUM
>>
>> which concerns personal opinions, ratings and original research.
>>
>> Regarding it getting ugly:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:What_Wikipedia_is_not#Wikipedia_is_not_a_battleground
>>
>> AKA
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:NOTBATTLEGROUND
>>
>> Regarding dispute resolution:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Dispute_resolution
>>
>> Arbitration comes at the very bottom of a rather long list of things
>> that should be tried first.  Arbitration is apparently meant for
>> situations that have to do with user conduct rather than the content
>> of the article.
>>
>> Regarding neutral point-of-view:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:NPOV_dispute
>>
>> This has a somewhat similar, though nevertheless different, procedure
>> for resolving the situation.  The article can be tagged as being part
>> of an NPOV dispute, and there's an NPOV dispute noticeboard.  The
>> similarity is that needing an authority figure to make a ruling should
>> be the very last resort.
>>
>> Don
>
> Thanks Don. I was but you were not, and I wish that Gerard were as aware
> of the importance of neutrality as you and the writers of these policy
> statements seem to have been.
>
> But out of a fair amount of personal experience with Wikipedia, my
> persistent impression is that unless the affected parties fix things on
> their own, the copy stays there, as if it were truth itself, though it

Isn't one of their slogans, "Be bold"?   IMHO, it could use a total rewrite.

The current version can't decide whether it is writing about the
product or the project, and seems to want to tell the history of the
world from the Great Flood for every section.  Much more useful for
the typical reader would be a section describing OpenOffice, the
product, in its current version, followed by a description of the
current project, then a section on history, broken into sections, of
"StarDivision",  "Sun Stewardship", "Oracle Strewardship" and "Apache
Project".  Or do it by release.  You can either tell a project history
or a technical/product history in any given section, but trying to do
both at once is a disaster, as the current version demonstrates.

-Rob