openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Volunteer Work
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2013 14:34:40 GMT
On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 10:04 PM, April Joyy <joyyapril@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Apache team! I was updating my version of OpenOffice for work when I read that you
could use some volunteers. Since OpenOffice is the reason I have my current job, I'd love
to contribute. My employers approached me twice asking for my services as a writer/editor
for hire, but I had just started this writing (and so much more) business and had not yet
established an office program to use. It wasn't until my employers third attempt to hire me
that I found out the UK company I upload rental villas in the Caribbeans for uses OpenOffice.
Before responding to the interview, I quickly downloaded OpenOffice and began employment with
them (Iavra.com) the following day.

Hello April,

Thanks for writing and thanks for offering to help with the Apache
OpenOffice project.  From your description it sounds like you have
skills in a number of areas.  You can read more about the various
areas of the project on our "Get Involved" page:

http://openoffice.apache.org/get-involved.html

And there is more background on these primary areas, as well as
introductory material on the project as a whole here:

http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/index.html

We do our work on several mailing lists, one for each project
function.  You can see a list of our mailing lists here:

It sounds like you have some experience with Google Maps?  One
interesting idea would be to produce a map showing the location of all
of our project volunteers.  Is that possible?  The "raw" data is here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Directory+of+Volunteers

You might want to consider the documentation team and/or the marketing
team as well.

Let me know if you have any questions on how to get started with the
above.  I especially recommend the New Volunteer Orientation modules
linked above, which will give you some very useful background
information.

Regards,

-Rob
> My online writing and editing career is only a year fresh, but I move and learn fast
with an emphasis on top quality work. I currently work online from home with Iavra.com; a
private rental villa agency and website whereas my main functions are uploading pictures,
describing villa styles, marking nearby geographic amenities (airports, golf, etc.) using
Google maps, stylizing the main description to have an appropriate appearance for brochure
printout by the company, and using OpenOffice spreadsheets for documentation. I also have
written a majority of descriptions for the website miamiwholesalesunglasses.com, as well as
transcribing audio files to script for private vendors. Through an online working community
called Odesk.com, I have been a ghostwriter of five children's books incorporated with the
publishing company "Baby Carrots", I've done some marketing work and I do hobby writing of
movie scripts, plays and working on a novel at the moment. Whew!
>  Even with all this listed, I feel there is so much more I can do and there is definitely
so much more I want to learn - especially C++. But, I am offering any aspect of my services
that would be helpful to your great team!

> As an employee or volunteer I am available on a daily basis with regular communication
via Yahoo messenger (joyyapril), email (joyyapril@yahoo.com) and/or my home phone (570-786-9052).
I tend to love the jobs that everyone else finds boring...In fact, the more boring the material
seems to be, the more I'll enjoy doing the work! It's nerdy, I know. That's not to say I can't
have fun... I'll give any work 100% of my time, attention and skills.