openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Some development ideas
Date Mon, 21 Jan 2013 16:08:57 GMT
On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 9:49 AM, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I am having fun with other areas of AOO so I don't have time to try this but here
> are some ideas in case someone wants to do further work there:
>
> 1) Update libxslt: xslt is really important in OpenOffice and libxslt 1.1.28 works
> just fine.
>
> 2) Enable building the boost component in python. We carry both boost and
>
> Python so it would be natural to make use of them. I think some configure
> option has to be added to boost for that and then deliver the result.
>
> 3) Enable openssl in APR. Again, we carry both, not sure if we are using all
> the potential there.
>
> 4) Replace rtl::math::random with the random nuber generator in APR. We have a
> random number generator in SAL that we use for bookmarks in documents and
> to seed the PRNG. APR has a crypto grade number generator that could be used
> instead. This would add a SAL dependency on APR, but it's likely that APR
> has functionality that would be interesting for the SAL module.

Is there an opportunity to also get functions for distributions other
than uniform?  A randomnormal(mean, stdev)  function would be quite
useful.

> 5) We use hypot a lot (look it up in opengrok), perhaps we should add an
> implementation in SAL.
>
> Pedro.
>
> ps. If someone wants to open bugzilla issues for any of these, please don't
> include me, I specifically don't have time for any of it.

I'd still recommend entering these ideas into Bugzilla, classified as
a "task" and setting an appropriate "difficulty" level.  If you want
to no longer be associated with the defect, you can then remove
yourself from the notifications.  But on the mailing list these ideas
will scroll by and when we get new dev volunteers, it will invisible.
But a task with an "easy" or "simple" difficulty level, these are
easily findable for new volunteers.

-Rob