openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OpenOffice on Wikipedia (was: In case you missed it: The OpenOffice Wikipedia page was FUD'ed over the holidays)
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2013 15:36:29 GMT
On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 10:21 AM, David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22 January 2013 15:06, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> I'm not going to do this on your timing or your terms.
>

> The other apposite Wikipedia policy page:
>
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Assume_good_faith

So I hope you'll assume good faith with any edits you see.

I might have initially assumed good faith from you, but that was lost
when seeing your Google+ comments on Apache OpenOffice, on a post
where you talked about your edits.  (Note that I have had to edit your
comments slightly to avoid violating our policy against vulgarities on
the mailing list)

https://plus.google.com/111502940353406919728/posts/3CUDTZoTsAp

You wrote:

"OO is dead, LO is alive, switch immediately.

The article sorta gets that across - read the history and LibreOffice
sections. Apache OpenOffice is a moribund shell, which will live
precisely as long as IBM is interested in keeping it alive. And
they've shown not all that much interest of late, either."

and

"It was dead from neglect; Oracle donated the corpse to Apache as part
of their (details unrevealed) 2008 deal with IBM, with a side order of
f*ck-you to LO thrown in for free."

and

"The talk page discussion on naming of the article is interesting.
Basically, once AOO 4.0 is out (if it ever comes out - IBM doesn't
seem to have merged their Symphony code as yet, and it was supposed to
be released next month) there'll be a serious proposal to make AOO a
separate article and keep this one as being about the OpenOffice.org
that existed from 2000 to 2011.

If/when AOO 4.0 comes out with the horrible Symphony interface, expect
millions of previously-happy OOo users to absolutely sh*t. It'll be
the Windows 8 of office suites."

So this does not suggest "good faith".  In fact, it suggests a
profound ignorance of the project and what we've been doing, as well
as having an axe to grind.  These comments, plus your mendacious
editing in the article suggests you are using Wikipedia to push a
point of view.

-Rob