openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Whytock <dwhyt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: In case you missed it: The OpenOffice Wikipedia page was FUD'ed over the holidays
Date Mon, 21 Jan 2013 17:06:51 GMT
Wikipedia has a lot of policy documents that are typically used to
object to an article or a piece thereof.  This comes out largely as
finger-pointing with a laser sight, but it lends legitimacy to an
argument.

Regarding conflicts of interest:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Plain_and_simple_conflict_of_interest_guide

This mostly concerns being personally involved with the subject
matter.  Whether offering a competing product and being personally
committed to the belittlement of the subject matter comprises
"personal involvement" is a complicated question.

Regarding opinionated content:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:What_Wikipedia_is_not#Wikipedia_is_not_a_soapbox_or_means_of_promotion

AKA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:NOTSOAPBOX

This specifically states that if there are going to be fights over
things they shouldn't happen in Wikipedia articles.  As others have
said, a straight presentation of facts is fine, even if the reader
doesn't particularly care for them, but things like motivations and
value judgments aren't facts.  At best, one can say that such-and-such
person claimed such motivations exist or made such-and-such value
judgments.

Just above that is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:What_Wikipedia_is_not#Wikipedia_is_not_a_publisher_of_original_thought

AKA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:NOTFORUM

which concerns personal opinions, ratings and original research.

Regarding it getting ugly:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:What_Wikipedia_is_not#Wikipedia_is_not_a_battleground

AKA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:NOTBATTLEGROUND

Regarding dispute resolution:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Dispute_resolution

Arbitration comes at the very bottom of a rather long list of things
that should be tried first.  Arbitration is apparently meant for
situations that have to do with user conduct rather than the content
of the article.

Regarding neutral point-of-view:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:NPOV_dispute

This has a somewhat similar, though nevertheless different, procedure
for resolving the situation.  The article can be tagged as being part
of an NPOV dispute, and there's an NPOV dispute noticeboard.  The
similarity is that needing an authority figure to make a ruling should
be the very last resort.

Don