openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Fernando Cassia <fcas...@gmail.com>
Subject OpenOffice thin client edition - why not?
Date Fri, 18 Jan 2013 03:16:39 GMT
I remember Sun -or perhaps it was StarDivision- once sold a StarOffice
"network computing" edition, basically what I think it did was install
a OO.o/SO Server on a LAN, and remote users connected -over VNC or
likewise thin-client protocol- via a Java applet in their browsers, to
the StarOffice app.

So, has anyone played with such a setup in OpenOffice ? Notice I don´t
want to give remote users access to the full desktop or a remote Linux
desktop session, just the application. In other words, what I mean is
the VNC-ization of the OO app...

Ideally, a server could be set up with each app (Calc, Writer,
Impress) on different tcpip ports so users could start with a new
document directly by using a different URL.

Perhaps this exists already, I´m not sure. The components to do so
clearly are out there... for instance TightVNC (GPL) has a Java applet
viewer with ssh http://www.tightvnc.com/ssh-java-vnc-viewer.php

I´m surprised no one has made a ready-made fire and forget installer
for this kind of setup.

Thoughts? comments? -TIA
FC
Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un
Acto Revolucionario
- George Orwell