openoffice-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SVN
Date Sun, 27 Jan 2013 14:47:21 GMT
On 26/01/2013 jorge ivan poot diaz wrote:
> Get the source via Subversion: svn co
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/trunk aoo. Finished.
> ... Please help me with my questions:
> 1. What step next?
> 2. How I can do?
> 3. Where to find information on the Internet?
> 4. Do any forum where I can learn more?

For 1-2-3-4, the next step is building: just read
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO
(it's very likely that your next problem will be to get all the
dependencies or "Build requirements"; you can find them listed on that
page, but please ask here in case).

> 5. What tools do I need for SVN?
> 6. What subversion, I need another?
> 7. How I can start using the SVN?
> 8. Where I can contact other users working with this tool?
> 9. What essentials I need to know?
> 10. Why do you use SVN for this type of work?
> 11. Can you give me an example of how it works?

For 5-6-7-8-9-10-11, Subversion is a revision control tool, like CVS or
Git. You don't need anything special other than the "subversion" package
(the "svn" executable) you already installed. During the workflow you
will need two commands only (to be excuted in "aoo", if your checkout
was done in a directory named "aoo", like you state above):
$ svn up
will bring your working copy up-to-date, so that you can receive the
work done by others in the meantime (this is why we use SVN).
$ svn diff
will show you what changed in your working copy. If you work on the
code, "svn diff" is what you will use to propose changes.

Regards,
   Andrea.