openoffice-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From imacat <>
Subject Re: Mwiki possible name change.
Date Fri, 18 Jan 2013 15:42:41 GMT
    Considering altogether, I would vote for instead of

 1. The existing community is built on this current host name.  It would
only confuse the community to change it.  This is especially true that
we have changed it just recently.

 2. It causes trouble to forward discussion thread URLs, pages when the
host name is long.

On 2013/01/15 06:12, Rob Weir said:
> On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 5:10 PM, janI <> wrote:
>> On Jan 14, 2013 10:52 PM, "Rob Weir" <> wrote:
>>> On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 3:09 PM, janI <> wrote:
>>>> Hi.
>>>> I want to inform the community about an ongoing discussion in Infra
>>>> regarding the use of "" or "
>>>> Background: We decided sometime ago to let me upgrade mwiki, which I
>> did,
>>>> with great help from many in here.
>>>> After that there has been a relatively high load on the VM (very
>> positive)
>>>> and bi-daily kernel panics due to lack of resources.
>>>> It was then decided to make a new VM with a new ubuntu, instead of an
>>>> upgrade in place (to get rid of the kernel panic) which I deemed risky
>> due
>>>> to the state (and documentation) of the installation.
>>>> I have completed the work with the new VM, and we were ready to transfer
>>>> the live site.
>>>> At that point I learned about plans of using https instead of http.
>>>> Infra-root has a policy that all logins (not only for committers)
>> should be
>>>> done through https.
>>>> Using https, requires a certificate, and the ongoing discussion is
>> whether
>>>> "*" is really needed or if "*"
>> would
>>>> be ok.
>>>> If I have understood the details correctly (sorry for being vague, but I
>>>> have not been able to get a clear answer), the users would address
>> https:
>>>> or and get a response as
>> https:
>>>> or
>>> IMHO renaming goes in the wrong direction.  I think we should be
>>> looking to get the entire website on to one domain, either all on
>>> or all on   Splitting things up
>>> is confusing for users, makes extra work for us (and for Infra),
>>> confuses the hell out of Google Analytics.
>>> I'd really like to see everything under one domain, including our blog
>>> and even CWiki (or migrate CWiki over to MWiki).
>>> That's my ideal.   Is it impossible?
>> it is highly possible.
>> I thought converting cwiki was taken off the table. we discussed it earlier
>> and said it should be after the upgrade. since then no one on the mwiki
>> side have volunteered.
> Sorry, I didn't mean to convert or migrate now, as part of the present
> set of activities.  I meant longer term it would be good to get under
> a single domain.
> -Rob
>>>> I have written/mailed several times that is a legacy,
>> very
>>>> important to AOO, and hope it has been understood. The latest discussion
>>>> seems to go in the direction of getting a certificate for
>> ,
>>>> but there are no guarantees.
>>> Is the issue cost?  We could do a mini-fundraising plea on our
>>> homepage.  I bet we could raise the necessary funds for the
>>> certificate.
>>> Note:  If I understand the security concern with the login, aren't we
>>> in the same issue with the phpBB forums?  Would a single cert be able
>>> to cover that as well?  Or do we need one cert per subdomain?
>> for some reason there seems to be resistence against wildcard cert, even
>> though is a wildcard.
>> latest news is that the https discussion has been postponed, so we at least
>> can get a stable server.
>>> Regards,
>>> -Rob
>>>> I have informed infra, that I cannot participate in works that causes a
>> url
>>>> name change, without having a green light from the AOO community.
>> Meaning
>>>> that I am now just monitoring what happens and not participating.
>>>> I am sorry to have partly caused the current situation, I wanted to
>> make a
>>>> clean installation to make the VM easier to maintain, had I not done
>> that,
>>>> the https discussion would problaly never have surfaced.
>>>> I have no deadline for the change, mainly because it is done by others,
>> but
>>>> I am convinced that Infra will end with a solution that the community
>> can
>>>> accept.
>>>> Please take this as information, I cannot go into a discussion on
>> behalf of
>>>> Infra (I am not infra, but we do have other committers that are infra).
>>>> Rgds
>>>> jan I.

Best regards,
imacat ^_*' <>

<<Woman's Voice>> News:
Tavern IMACAT's
Woman in FOSS in Taiwan
EducOO/OOo4Kids Taiwan
Greenfoot Taiwan

View raw message